Best balance bikes for kids
If kids are to learn the fundamentals of riding a bike, then a balance bike is the right tool for the job. A balance bike is a regular kids bike but without the pedals. Instead of pedaling to propel the bike, kids have to push the ground with their feet in order to propel themselves.
A balance bike consists of two wheels without the extra training wheels that other bikes have. They are so simple in nature yet they contribute so much to a kid’s life. Balance bikes are ideal for kids aged between 18 months and 5 years.
The bike’s simple design and principle makes it the best and easiest way of showing the riding ropes to a kid. Using the bike, a child will learn the basics of balancing and steering.
Apart from teaching the fundamentals of riding, balance bikes provide real entertainment, fun and thrill to kids – the reason why they were created in the first place.
There are several balance bikes on the market and each comes with its own goodies. We have compiled a list of the best 8 balance bikes and why we think they should be on the list.
1. Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike (4.4 lbs.) for Ages 1.5 to 5 Years
Weighing only 4.4 lbs. (2kg), this is one the safest, easiest and lightest bike for kids to learn to ride. It is suitable for both boys and girls as young as 18 months and as old as 5 years.
- Comes in 9 sapphire anodized colors that aesthetically enhance the bike’s visual appeal
- Constructed using rust-free anodized aluminum
- Adjustable and super comfortable seat with a minimum height of 11.5 inches
- Can be used for indoor riding without damaging floor surfaces
- Low profile axle bolts that prevent painful ankle strikes for riders
- Light weight (4.4 lbs.)
- Safe and portable
- Flat-free composite rubber tires
- Maintenance-free sealed bearings
With no pedals and training wheels, this bike provide the little ones with freedom, independence and fun. It allows a child to be mobile and active at an early age.
This bike is ultra-light and portable. Due to its lightness, the bike offers effortless control to the rider. The bike is perfect for indoor riding and fun as it does not damage floor surfaces.
The bike’s comfort is provided by soft grips and comfortable seats. The adjustable wide seat and handle allows the bike to grow with a child. A child can use the bike for up to three years.
2. Chicco Red Bullet Balance Training Bike
The bike is suitable for children aged 3 and above. The bike has a straightforward design that mimics a real world bicycle.
- Light weight sturdy metal frame
- Comfortable padded saddle seat
- Puncture resistant foam tires
- Rubber handle bars that provide grip and comfort
- Height adjustable seat
- Ideal for children aged 3 and above
- Eye-catching paint job
- It has the look of a real bicycle
- Wide handle bars that provide better steering and control
Due to its wider handlebars, the bike can be steered and controlled more easily and with little effort. The bike has foam tires that allow a kid to ride indoors without damaging floors.
Thanks to a solid frame, the bike is light, strong and durable. Its height adjustable seat can be used to cater for taller children.
The puncture-resistant tires allow kids to ride on any surface without the fear of suffering a puncture. The rubber handle bars provide grip and comfort for the rider.
The bike’s frame can support a kid with a maximum weight of 55 lbs. The bike teaches children how to learn to ride a real world two-wheel bicycle. The bike’s seat can adjust from 13 inches up to 15 inches in height.
3. Tauki Kid Balance Bike No Pedal Push Bicycle, 12 Inch, 95% assembled
The bike weighs 11.02 pounds and supports a maximum weight capacity of 55.12 pounds. This bike is ideal for kids between 18 months and 5 years.
- It is easy to assemble as it comes 95% assembled. An adult only needs to install the seat post and the handle bar
- Adjustable saddle height
- Adjustable handle bars
- It comes with a free portable pump and other tools.
- It has 12 inch, wide pneumatic tires
- It is made of durable welded high grade steel
- The bike resembles a real bicycle
As it comes 95% assembled, only limited assembly is required. It even comes with a free portable pump and tools. It has wide pneumatic tires that allows a kid to learn to ride without pedaling.
The bike is strong as it is made of durable welded high grade steel. Its long lasting coat and solid construction mimics a real bicycle. The bike comes in different colors including red, pink, lime and blue.
4. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike, Ages 18 Months to 5 Years
This bike was designed with one simple goal of learning and improving balance. The bike further teaches a child coordination and confidence. The bike is ideal for kids aged 18 months to 5 years.
- Custom toddler sized grips
- Handle bar pad
- Adjustable padded seat
- Non-adjustable release clamps
- Puncture-resistant foam tires that provide better traction and no cushioning
- Weighs 6.7 pounds
- Non-intrusive footrest tucked under the seat and close to the rear tire
- Seat height with a minimum of 11 inches and a maximum of 19 inches
- Ultra lightweight design
- Durable and maintenance free steel frame
- Seat and handle bar height can be easily adjusted even without tools
- Low seat height that allows children as young as 18 months to start riding
It is a comfortable bike with a low seat height that allows toddlers to start riding at the age of 18 months. It comes with a custom made and non-intrusive footrest located under the seat and close to the rear tire.
It’s made of strong, durable and maintenance-free steel frame. The ultra-lightweight frame weighs only 6.7 pounds. The seat and handle bar height can be adjusted without tools.
The bike comes in an assortment of colors.
5. Schwinn Balance Bike, 12-Inch
The bike has a unique foot to floor design that teaches the fundamentals of balance. It has 12 inch air tires and tubes.
- 12 inch air tires and tubes that allow easy roll
- Adjustable handle bars
- Adjustable seat to cater for a child’s growing height
- Schwinn foot to floor design
- Large footrest
- Ideal for kids aged 2 and 5
- Weighs 10.5 lbs.
- Comfortable and durable seat
- Comes in an assortment of eye-catching colors
Weighing 10.5 pounds, the bike is ideal for kids aged between 2 and 5. It has a durable and comfortable seat.
Its seat can be adjusted to cater for a child’s growing height. The bike also has adjustable handle bars. A large footrest is located underneath the comfortable seat. It has a unique foot to floor design. It comes in an assortment of colors for kids and parents to choose from.
6. KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike
This bike is ideal for average or bigger kids. It weighs 8 pounds. Its seat can be adjusted to a minimum height of 14 inches.
- Maintenance-free and puncture resistant EVA tires
- Adjustable seat with a minimum height of 14 inches
- Adjustable handle bars
- Easy step-in patented footrest design
- Metal rims
- The bike can be quickly and easily adjusted due to its tool-free quick-release
- Unique footrest
What makes it more special is that it is the only bike with a unique and easy-step patented footrest. It comes with adjustable handle bars.
It comes with maintenance-free and puncture resistant EVA tires. It is fitted with metal rims. Due to its tool-free quick release, the bike can be easily adjusted.
7. Strider – 12 Classic Balance Bike, Ages 18 Months to 3 Years
The bike has a mini-saddle seat perfect for toddler aged between 18 and 36 months. It is ideal for girls weighing 60 pounds and under.
- It has a simple and quality U.S. patented high performance design
- Can be assembled in five minutes
- Ultra-light molded wheels
- Frame with integrated footrest
- It only weighs 6.7 pounds.
- Toddler tailored and adjustable seat and handle bars with standard grip
- It can support a kid with a maximum weight of 60 pounds.
- The four colors that the bike is available in are blue, pink, red and green.
- 12 inch wheel size
- EVA-polymer tires that require zero maintenance
- Sealed cartridge wheel bearings
This is a bike that simplifies things. It can be assembled in five minutes. It is fitted with EVA-polymer tires that require zero maintenance.
It is built with an ultra-light and durable steel frame. The bike weighs as low as 6.7 pounds. It comes with standard handle bars and grips. It features an adjustable and all-weather mini seat. The seat has a maximum height of 16 inches.
8. Banana Bike – Lightweight Balance Bike for 2, 3 & 4 Year Olds
This bike is ideal for kids aged between 2 and 4. The bike stands out from the crowd due to its unique banana design and eye catching colors.
- Quick release seat bracket
- Stronger metal headset
- Handle bars
- Quick release slim seat
- Puncture proof EVA form tires
- Durable and lightweight frame
- Can be easily assembled with a spanner and hex key
- Banana shaped frame design
- Upgraded bearings
It is strong and light, making it easy to carry. It is easy for small kids because they can travel longer distances on it than on other bikes.
It is fitted with puncture proof EVA foam tires and takes away the need to inflate them. It has upgraded wheels. It has a quick release slim seat as well as upgraded bearings.
A balance bike provides a new alternative method for kids to learn how to balance on two wheels. Kids can skip the tricycles and training wheels and jump straight onto the balance bike.
The lack of pedal gives kids more fun, excitement and thrill. It helps children to be independent at an early age. It is ideal for trainer kids.
Any parent wishing to invest in their child’s freedom, fun and adventure must get their child a balance bike. A child will never forget the gift of a balance bike. This is the age of balance bikes.