5 Best WiFi thermostat for home
Wifi enabled thermostats are smart devices that allow you to control various heating and cooling systems inside your home efficiently and remotely using smartphones and tablets. In most cases, you have to download a free app that is compatible with a specific thermostat brand or model.
One of the thermostat’s biggest benefit is the ability to control your home temperature remotely. You don’t have to debate with yourself if you turned the heat off or not. You just have to use your smartphone to control the heating/cooling systems at home.
With smart thermostats, you can regulate your home temperature more efficiently and save energy. Some thermostats give you an energy usage report, which you can use to gauge your energy usage and adjust accordingly.
There are so many thermostats on the market and some of them are quite good. We have taken the liberty to review the five best thermostats your money can buy.
1. Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation, Works with Amazon Alexa
Designed by two ex-Apple engineers, the Nest Learning Thermostat learns your temperature preferences and programs itself to save energy.
- Auto schedule – Learns your temperature setting preferences in a week
- Auto away technology turns down the thermostat to save energy when there is no one at home
- System match – Nest can calculate the time required to heat or cool temperature
- Filter change reminder
- Remote control – Connect with wifi and control the temperature from your smartphone, tablet or computer.
- Farsight – Displays time, temperature or weather when you are in the room
- Energy history – See your energy usage history
- Nest leaf – Indicates when in energy saving mode
- Works with Amazon Alexa – Control your thermostat using voice commands
- Easy installation
- Does not need C – wire
- Elegant and simple design
The Nest integrates several technologies and features in one package that makes it a powerful and efficient thermostat. It learns all your temperature activities within a week and displays a menu showing your temperature patterns.
With the home/away assist feature, it checks if there is no one around and then turns down the system to save energy. This thermostat allows you to connect it to wifi and control the temperature remotely using your phone, computer or tablet.
It shows your energy history, making it easy for you to know how much energy has been used over time. The thermostat guides you in the right direction using the Nest Leaf feature. It displays a leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy.
It can be voice controlled. It is easy to install. It has an elegant and simple design. This is a must-have thermostat.
2. Sensi Smart Thermostat, WiFi, UP500W, Works with Amazon Alexa
If you are looking for an easy-to-use, convenient, programmable and reliable thermostat, Sensi is the one. It has a traditional look but comes with many advanced functions. The Sensi is controlled by a smartphone app, giving you freedom and convenience.
- Does not require C-wire for most systems
- +/- 1-degree swing range
- Humidity sensor
- Controlled with a simple smartphone app via wifi
- Backlight button
- Remembers programs
- Amazon Echo integration
- Voice controlled
- Permanent on-unit memory
- Displays weather conditions
This Sensi thermostat can be controlled by Amazon Alexa voice commands. It can be installed in 15 minutes or less. It however does not learn your temperature preferences. But you can easily create a 7-day schedule in order to save energy.
It displays the time, temperature and system status on the LCD. The PIN lockout does not allow unauthorized people to adjust the thermostat. It can change the temperature ten times a day.
It does not require a C-wire connection for most systems. The only exceptions are 2-wire heat only and AC only systems. Although this thermostat does not have as many features as the new smart thermostats, it serves its purpose quite well.
3. Ecobee3 Thermostat with Sensor, Wi-Fi, 2nd Generation, Works with Amazon Alexa
This is no ordinary thermostat. It is capable of reading temperatures across multiple rooms. It comes with sensors and one thermostat can support up to 32 sensors. The more sensors your home has, the smarter the thermostat is. It comes with one free sensor.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa
- Supports up to 32 sensors
- Simple, smart and better design
- Easy to install – it takes 45 minutes or less to install
- Touchscreen display
- C wire connection required
- Comes with a Power Extender Kit
- Can be controlled remotely with a mobile app
- Automated alerts and reminders
- Energy report
The Ecobee 3 does not confine you to a single location in order to control it. Hands-free control is possible. It is compatible with Amazon Echo and allows you to control it using voice commands. It can connect to your wifi network and allow you to remotely control it using your smartphone, tablet or computer with an app.
It is a real energy saver. The Ecobee’s smart detect feature detects when you are home and works accordingly. If you are away, the thermostat minimises the energy consumption. It is hardwired so that it does not completely rely on a battery.
It has a touchscreen display. It shows you an energy report so that you can have a preview of your energy usage. It is compatible with most home wiring systems. This is a thermostat that you can safely rely on, whether you are home or away.
4. Honeywell Smart Thermostat, Wi-Fi, Touchscreen, Works with Amazon Alexa
Designed by Honeywell, a Fortune 100 company, this is a thermostat that you can trust and rely on. It has a full touchscreen display that shows you the time and inside and outside temperature.
- Amazon Alexa compatible
- Large touchscreen color display with 12 color themes
- Smart programmable features for home or business
- Can be programmed in several languages including English, French, and Spanish
- Remote controlled using a computer, smartphone or tablet
- Vacation mode – minimize energy consumption when you are away
- C-wire connection
- Highly energy-efficient
- Monitors outside temperature to automatically adjust the HVAC system
- Ideal for home or office use
- Business mode, it is preset with the national holidays of US and Canada
- Locking touchscreen, the password feature provides security and convenience
- Automatic temperature alerts
- It allows smart and flexible scheduling
- Smart response technology, learns your temperature preferences
It gives you reliable wifi operation and control through its highly rated Total Connect Comfort App. This allows you to control your thermostat anywhere using any iOS or Android device. It displays extreme temperature alerts on the thermostat screen.
The thermostat has advanced locking features that prevents unauthorized access. The thermostat’s advanced fan control feature, improves air circulation and promotes effective temperature regulation of your home.
The thermostat allows you to program your specific temperature needs. It also comes with the smart response technology that learns your heating and cooling cycle so that it can maintain your unique temperature needs. It is designed to be simple, reliable and dependable.
5. Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Designed by Honeywell, a company that has manufactured thermostats for over 100 years, this thermostat is high on reliability and accuracy.
- Works with all heating and cooling systems – the only exception is the 110-volt or greater systems
- Smart response technology – it maximizes energy efficiency and provides you with comfortable temperatures by learning your preferred temperature settings
- Connects to your wifi network
- Remote control – Control the thermostat using a smartphone, tablet or computer
- Customizable climate control – 7-day programming with 4 daily periods
- Advanced fan control feature
- Large and easy-to-use backlit digital display
- Energy efficient
This thermostat is designed to fit perfectly into one’s digital life – connected and online. The thermostat learns your heating preferences and automatically adjusts to your desired temperature at your specific times.
The thermostat gives you freedom and convenience of programming it for 7 days with 4 daily periods. The thermostat even allows you to control it using your smartphone, computer or tablet from anywhere in the world. It does not tie you to one place.
It is energy efficient and lets you enjoy the benefits of year-round savings. It connects with many heating and cooling systems. Its advanced fan control feature keeps the temperature balanced throughout your home. It is simple to set up and easy to use.
Smart thermostats are essential components if you house has heating or cooling systems installed. Smart thermostats can be operated remotely using everyday gadgets like smartphones or tablets, taking away the hassle of managing your home’s temperature when you are away.
They provide optimum temperatures where ever necessary and reduce your energy bills along the way. For places like offices where proper air circulation and cooling is necessary, the thermostat automate the whole process quite effectively without the need for human effort. Even for home users, who use advanced cooling or heating systems indoors, the thermostats can manage the temperatures on their own, making the residents feel more comfortable. So get a thermostat. Regulate your home climate. Save energy.